11/29/2015

travel2japan: #1 How everything started

Hey guys!
So, I was to Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm no going to do this. 
Some backround information:
I was to Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added inretrospect)

#1 How everything started    

Real date: March 3rd

I'm writing this entry afterwards while I'm finishing my German homework in between. In fact, this things happened partly already about one and a half year ago; errors excepted.
We liked mangas. How we got round to do this, would be too long to write down now. (My friend liked mangas since a long while and she sometimes showed my manga pictures or songs. One day, when I was bored, I started watching ONE PIECE, what marked the beginning to my manga addiction.) We, however, liked the country, where the most of mangas are from: Japan. We just liked it, how you like a nation,your favorite consumtion goods are from. Lisa (I changed everybody's name) once started studying Japanes with a Japanese training book, what she gave up soon.
Someday, Mrs. M, our homeroom teacher back then, mentioned (as it probably is her educational duty) that there is the oportunity to spend a school year abroud. She put some magazines on the teacher's desk. Lisa and I looked at each other and said both "Japan" or so... We had a look at the magazines and Lisa obviously managed it to tell our plan everyone, what lead to Mrs.M recognizing it soon.
In the following break, we went to one of these magazine rack in our school's auditorium and looked at more magazines. I remember Anna saying "You won't manage that anymore, everything would have to be already arranged.". But we didn't care.
At this very day, I excitetly rode home, somehow thinking, that from now, I will spend any free time with Japan(ese). My mom was still at work and I spent all day researching about Japan and student exchanges. When my mom came home then, I told her with some hem and haw, that I want to spend '5 month in Tokyo' maybe. (what was very stupid in retrospect. As if other places in Japan wouln't be great as well) Then, I  rattled on Japan at her.
Lisa told me, I think it was already the next day, that her mother would be okay with Lisa going to Japan up to one year(!), whereas my parents were extremely sceptic.
(Some days later) Lisa and me (+her mother +my father) visited some kind of information session at a school in our near, what we were told about by a letter to the parents. There, some questions about exchange years were talked about squishy,  some 'returned people' talked about her experiences briefly and a few exchange organizations were ther for questions. Lisa and I recognized the two organizations, that provided a program in Japan soon: AFS and YFU. But both programs were for a whole year only.
This session didn't actually answer questions. It rather aroused interest, strengthened goals and confirmed intentions.

I hope, you liked this part. 
-->next part #2 Organization stuff

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!