2/20/2016

How to discover what hobbies you really like

Hey, everybody!
As I have already talked about in a post a few weeks ago, I want to reduce theamount of hobbies, I pursue in in order to only have the ones, I really like and enjoy left.
After having technically diminished watching movies from my list of hobbies, I have now still a long list that does not seem to shorten by itself.

A short while ago, I read a bit about one Cal Newport’s book, called ‘So Good They Can’t Ignore You’, that is basically a book advising people on how to find a good, joyous job for them and succeed in this.
The key in this is Newport’s advice to ‘Stop trying to find your passion’ This advice may seem very anti- productive and stupid at the first glimpse (especially in the context of this book), but after Newport’s explanations, I understood it’s meaning. What he wants people to do is not quitting searching for a job or career they like but instead, doing it in a different way. That means: not making tons of pseudo- psychological personality tests and career quizzes. Instead, he recommends trying out the activity intensively and immediately over a period of time and then deciding, whether it fits or not. This is, what could be called ‘Learning by Doing’
For me, this explanation makes a lot of sense. Trying out an activity ensures that you really know how this is like and whether you appreciate it.

Coming back to my struggle with the reduction of hobbies, this is kind of the way with which I want to reduce my list’s points.
My plan goes like this: I am going to try out the activities, I am not sure about (currently 11) for a certain period of time, preferably one or two weeks. In this period of time, I am going to engage in the activities daily, at least for 30 minutes a day. To ensure, that I do this and reflect the activities properly, I am going to blog about it, probably every day, probably every week.
I want to start with a kind of cooking week. Cooking is a point on my list that I am sure, I would enjoy if engaging in it further that peeling oranges. For the next week (starting at Saturday I am going to produce one kind of food every day. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a whole meal or even warm food, just some kind of food that requires more effort that opening the fridge.

Although I looking forward to this week and to the next weeks where I want to try out different things, I am a bit worried about whether this kind of sometimes very time- consuming activities are connectable with a school life with exams just around the corner. Despite the fact that the Active Recall method seems to reduce the required time to study a material dramatically, this is certainly not the only kind of studying, I have to do. I also need to practice, preferably in exam- like situations, what will definitely cost some more time. I am, however, positive, that I will be able to do it and I am very much looking forward to the next weeks.


I really hope that you enjoyed reading this article and are probably inspired to try out your hobbies this way as well. Have a nice day and see you tomorrow!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!