2/12/2016

travel2japan #14 the last day of the orientation camp

Hey guys!
So, I was to Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm no going to do this. 
Some backround information:
I was to Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

#14 the last day of the orientation camp
Real date: March 23th

Today morning, I woke up early again. I started writing diary, yesterday I didn't because I was too tired. We practiced the self- introuduction again. I got mine corrected by an inbound student, but there were still some mistakes left (I still do not understand it. This girl definitely could speak Japanese very well but she just overlooked the mistakes or what ?!). Then, we listened to a speach about culture shock and cross culture communication, what was very interesting and helpful.
After that, we got in groups with the Japanese student again and created a presentaion about cultural diffrences between Japan and other countries. All of the presentations were very interesting.
We ate together. I feel like I am beginning to become more self. confident about my Japanese language ability and start speaking more in Japanese. After that, we listened to three interesting speeches: about Japanese school life, Japanese culture and WYS rules (this speech was interesting yet scaring. I was somehow convinced, that I will get in trouble with the organazition at some point). I already knew a lot, but it was interesting.
Then, we had another Japanese lesson and learned the words for body parts and how to say, that something hurts. (Just in case, that we have to go to the doctor- not exetremely effective but however)
After that, we finished the problem discussion, that was held yesterday by finding solutions. (I am just memorizing, that I was last night up till 2 o'clock reading the tips (written in the WYS folder) I'm busy :) (During my stay in Japan I learned embracing being busy :))
Then we got again together in groups with the Japanese students and prepared presentations about diffrent cultural feasts.
Then, we made something, I really enjoyed doing. We did calligraphy. (Some (Japanese) members of my group gave me the Purikura (Purikura are popular photo machines in Japan, where one can make cute photos and decorate and print them) pictures, we took in Harajuku. Oh My God, I was so happy.) The Kanji, I draw as calligraphy was 'benkyou' (studying). It is now standing next to my bed. My first goal for the programm is, to learn as much as possible (I took that way too serious), this is very important to remember. During calligraphy, we took lots of photos.
Tomorrow, I will be the very last student driving to my home community. After everyone has gone, my counslor will pick me up and take me half way to the host community, where my host mother will take me with her- I am very excited! But I also do not want to leave this people, the Japanese as well as the others, 'cause we engaged such a good relationship during the program (Seen from retrospect, we did not have such a great relationship. I guess, we were just working partners). I somehow want to stay in Japan for longer, during this orinetation camp, I realized, that 4 1/2 month aren't that long. This three days passed very quickly.
Now, I am going to write down some questions for my host family. Good night! (In Japanese)
This time, I was up till 1:40. (I really did not sleep that much)

I hope, you liked this part
<--previous part (#13 Harajuka, a shrine and Japanese students)
next part (#15 the first day with my host family)-->

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!