2/19/2016

travel2japan #16 Meeting my host father and going to the beach

Hey guys!
So, I was to Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm no going to do this. 
Some backround information:
I was to Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

#16 Meeting my host father and going to the beach
Real date: March 25th

Today, my alarm rang at 6 o'clock but I did not stand up until 7 o'clock. After that, I made myself ready and ate breakfast. It was tasty. My hostmother showed me her computer, that I am allowed to use. So, I wrote an e-mail to my family. Today, a letter from WYS arrived (I think, it didn't arrive, but my host mother opened this day, because it was required then). We went to the town's office (I brought my passsport and my resident card) The person there asked us some questions about the resident card.

After that, we drove to the beach. It was amazing! We took a picture. Before that, we went to a supermarket and bought an obento (kind of a snack- food- box) and ate at the beach. Everything was so great! On the way to the beach, I became tired, but after I saw the beach, now, I am not tired at all. After that, we went to a one- coint- shop. I bought a Kanji training book. After finishing writing in this diary, I will start practicing with the Kanji book. There was also (another?) book, but I did not buy it.
In the town's office, we got a map. At home, my host mother showed my the way to school. It's just 20 minutes to walk.  I think, our communication improved a bit, my hostmother spoke a bit English.
Today, I will meet my hostfather. I am excited for this.
(Bigger font) I am writing bigger now, so that my hostfamily can read it. My hostfather came (Because his work's office is far away, he sometimes sleeps at another place). He is nice and we ate together. I could speak a bit Japanese but we mostly spoke English. Speaking Japanese was sometimes hard but ok. My hostfathr saw my hospitality gift. I think, he liked it. He was to Germany a couple of times and says that he likes it.
I took a shower and went to bed. 
Here is a list of things, I dicovered about Japan and Japanese people: 1.) Japanese houses do not have heater, instead, they have single heaters in the living room and the bathroom as well as heated toilet seats.
2.) Japanese people like small things. They liked my small dictionary, have a small washing machine, small towels.. cute.
3.) Japanese people are exetremely polite and helpful. Everywhere and always.
4.) Although I have the feeling that neither my Japanese grammar skills, not my vocabulary knowledge is improving, I often say Japanese commonplace phrases, for example 'Sokka sokka' (I see), 'Chotto mate' (Wait a second) and 'eeto' (Uhm)
5.) Understanding Japanese becomes a little easier, when I hear a plea, I do so. But when I have to speak myself, I am unable to do it.
6.) Oh, I forgot: This morning, there was a small earthquake!! It was very early in the morning. It was funny. (I know, that earthquakes are not a funny thing, but the small ones, I experienced were exingly joyous for me.)

I hope, you liked this part
<--previous part (#15 the first day with my host family)
next part (#17 some thoughts about Japan)--> 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!