3/13/2016

Alternative studying tips (discussion on 'How we Learn' by Benedict Carey)

source
Hey everyone reading!
I recently finished reading 'How we learn' by Benedict Carey. I actually did not read it conservatively page by page by rather browsed through it trying to figure out the most important points. The book is basically a huge mixture of studies and surveys as well as th authors own experiences suppoirting certain statements about studying.
The first statement made is that it is supporting the memorization to study not always the same but diffrently. That means to change study locations and times as well as topics and methods. As I am a student I am enforced to study at diffrent times because I do not have the same number of classes every day. As for changing the studying place, I suspict whether this is really helping the studying process. I personally study either in my room 8mostly at my desk) or in school. From my point of view, other study areas would either mean uneconomic extra effort or added distractions. Moreover, i could not think of other study places than the library or at the floor. I am not quite sure.
Changing topics and studying methods, however, is an idea, I definitely want to try out. I am usually always learning one subject, topic for topic with not very much variations in my studying methods. So, I will try to dissolve this determinatedness a bit.

The next point is something I partly already knew. Carey claims self- testing to be a great way of studying, what I absoulutely agree to. He then, however, pays greater attention to mistakes being made as he explains why it can be so very helpful to say something wrong. He recommends a good way of studying to be by highlighting mistakes to make them easier to remember not to make. At this point he always refers to some kind of application or online studying progrem so I am still struggling with the question, how to use this tip when it comes to studying with book and paper.

The next tip was something, literally every kid gets taught but I somehow forget using it. When talking about the imporance of sleep, Carey enhanced the best reviewing time to be right before going to sleep to enable the brain to process the content while sleeping. Despite this fact I kind of never set a revision time right before sleep, what I now plan to change by scheduling the last half hour of my day for recalling study material.

Studying in smaller sections is the next point that is also talked about by plenty of other study gurus. It is scentifically proven that content sticks better when studied in a lot of smaller sections than when done all at once. This is a certain struggle of mine. My first studying break starts after I have finished all my studying (if one minute packing and unpacking does not count). When I have started something I just want to finish it right away without any distraction breaks. I really do not know whether another content would actually improve my studying performance. As studying is individual, I kind of doubt that this idea does not apply to me. This is something, I have to overthink.

So this were the main basic points of Carey's book, what was actually really interesting and fa
scination. I hope you liked that article and I'll see you tomorrow!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!