5/01/2016

travel2japan #54 Shibuya


Hey guys!
So, I was in Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm now going to do this. 
Some background information:
I was in Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba wi
th a host family. 

I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

 #54 Shibuya
Real date: May 3rd, Sunday

Last night, I somehow woke up at 2 o'clock. Today, I stood up at half past six. When I walked in the kitchen, Kouta san was already there watching TV. From now on, I want to count everytime when I learn, understand or get to known something new. Doing this, I might see how well my Japanese actually is.

Kouta san went and bought onigiri and bread for breakfast. When Wakari san came, she prepared breakfast. Breakfast was tasty, but as I eat quickly, I could not really taste the food. But I was still the last one to finish breakfast. How do Japanese people eat so quickly?
After breakfast, Wakari san explained to me a little about my trip today and I set an alarm on my smartphone. Now, I am waiting. Although I am a bit afraid of maiking a mistake, I am looking forward to the trip today. Ginza already was wonderful, so..
I hope, the letter I wrote will arrive in Germany by tomorrow because I am looking forward to the answer. But when I answered, I want to give the letter to the post office by myself.
Kouta san just asked me whether this note is my diary. I hope it is okay to write diary (Why shouldn't it be okay?) Now, I will stop writing because we will go now.
I thought, I would go to the station by myself but we somehow went there together by car. We went in and I went through the gate. Then, waving them goodbye, I went on the plattform, where I sat down and studied a bit because I was so early. Next to me sat a girl wearing a Little Twin Stars T-Shirt.
On the way to Tokyo, I studied a bit and relaxed inbetween. Tokyo station is very big but as there were a lot of signs and arrows, I quickly found my next plattform. There, I saw a lot of interesting- dressed people waiting for the train. This train also goes to Harajuku.
Then, I arrived at Shibuja. I went to the toilet and then searched for an exit. Shibuja is very big with a lot of expensive shops and a lot of people. It is a bit like Ginza but there are more Japanese stores. A lot of people are wearing alternatively amazing clothes. I also saw some cars with speakers making advertisement for products.
I went around Shibuja, always checking the map for the street. I went into a big fashion shopping mall. Almost only girls were in there. There were countless shops for any crazy fashion you could think of. The clothes there were very adorable, pretty and expensive. The mall was packed and in every shop there were people of the shop saying 'Welcome!' It was a little annoying (if you do not want to buy something). In a lot of shops, I got various fashion magazines. In the mall, I saw a girl with an incredibly huge bag full of shoes. I think she was addicted to shopping. Because it was the 40th anniversary of My Melody (a cute brand), a lot of shops had projects referring to the label. On the very top floor, there was an entire shop for Sanrio, the brand of Hello Kitty, My Melody, Little Twin Stars and a lot of others. I looked around there for a long time and wanted to buy something. I saw a note, I kind of like. But (because I did not want my self to buy it) I remembered Kouta san saying: 'The rest of the money is for food' so I must not buy the note. (I am quite sure that my host father did not say it this way) So, I quickly left and it somehow felt okay.
Shibuja is kind of like Berlin what makes me miss Berlin. It feels also a little like Ireland but I do not know why.
Around midday, it got very hot. It was not beneficial that I was wearing a pullover- I felt so hot and a little dizzy. I was also tired. I kind of tried to go into smaller streets that are shaded by the buildings. At a 7 11 store I bought myself a bread, 8 slices. Every half hour I ate a slice. Although it was only a bread, I did not feel hungry. Eating only little by little is kind of a good method. (Obsessed with saving money- you know what I mean?)
At around 3:30 I started getting bored, although it is an interesting city. I also was a bit homesick and kind of felt so alone there. In the near of the station, I went into a big store, where there was a booth about mother's day. I took a card and wrote my mother a message on it. Walking around, I met a women, who asked me where I am from and we chatted a bit. She said that my Japanese is good. Seriously, speaking with somebody, even if it is a complete stranger feels so good. But we just talked a little what is not that good.

In the near of the station, I saw a dance performance, that was fun to watch. As the station was very big, I struggles finding my plattform. I was looking at my map all the time and going the way over and over again but I could not find my plattform. I paniced and yet did not want to ask for help. Then, somehow, I found the right plattform (by my own!) This experience of saving a problem by my own somehow gave me confidence. In the train to Tokyo, I studied a bit. Quickly, I was in Tokyo, where I switched trains. In the next train I again studied and wrote a text message to Wakari san.
Then, I arrived in my host town. On the station, there was Kouta san waiting for me. As it was dark, he drove me home by car. So nice! At home, I talked a lot about my experience and got a lot of questions asked. I somehow should have seen a dog that is a symbol for a big company and they were astonished as I said that I did not see it. Wakari san explained me a term in Japanese. We talked more and ate.
Today, all food bowls were standing in the middle of the table and everyone could take food for him or herself. It was rice, tomatos, broccoli, onions, fish, cheese and meat, very tasty!
After dinner, I showed Wakari san the pictures, I took in Shibuya and she told me to take a shower somehow very early in the evening (I guess because I was tired). So, I went in my room early and I am very tired now. In my room, I packed out my backpack, listened to all my songs except for 'follow the sun' (because it reminds me of Berlin) and read in the magazines, I got.
But I am very tired so I will sleep now.

I hope, you liked that part!
<-- Previous part (
#53 a lighthouse & lots of explainations)
Next part (#54) -->

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!