5/03/2016

travel2japan #55 an amazing day?


Hey guys!
So, I was in Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm now going to do this. 
Some background information:
I was in Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

 #55 an amazing day?
Real date: May 4th, Monday

As I was really tired yesterday, I woke up a little late today. When I came in the kitchen, I saw Wakari san eating an onigiri (rice ball). She said: 'We will go out today' I thought, that 'we' meant Wakari san, Kouta san and me but I wondered, why she was then eating so early. Then I realized that only Wakari san and Kouta san will go out today. We talked a bit. They left quickly.


I somehow have the feeling that they do not like me. I directly ate breakfast; cornflakes and onigiri. My worries, that my host family does not like me, got bigger and I cried.
I ate, watched TV and studied. Then, I took my street map and went to the post office, to send the WYS report. But as it is Golden Week, it was closed. So, I went to a 7 11 in the near, bought a stamp and put the stamped letter into the postbox of the post office.
Back at home, I cleared the dishwasher and studied. As I was crying, I did not study very well.
Wakari san had wrote me a message. As they already ate lunch, I had to make my own lunch. I bought a nice, fluffy bread and ate it but they were already coming home. Wakari san went into her room and Kouta san watched TV. We are watching a TV movie and eating ice cream. my stomach is full. But as the movie was in English, I did not learn Japanese. So I wrote in my diary while watching the movie.
I now understood something. When you come into a country as a tourist, you stay with your own views, beliefs and interests. You do what you want to and eat what you want to. Exchange students, however, apply the foreign culture, do what is done there and eat what is eaten there. They cannot always stay with their preferences. So, they get homesick and have difficulties, although they may like the country and speak the language. I never was homesick at any of my trips before.
Wakari san just asked Kouta san whether he wants to eat lunch. I do not understand. I thought, they already ate lunch (?!) Wakari san is now eating icecream. I tried to ask Kouta san about it but I did not really understood.
I try to distract myself but I do not know what to write. I want to go in my room and eat some bread. Kouta san went shopping and when he returned, he brough us some sweets; white, sweet, small balls, that were very tasty. Today, we will eat dinner early; already at 4 o'clock we will go.
We went to a Kaiten Sushi Restaurant. (There, you sit down on a table and one a converyor, that passes all tables, small plates with sushi rolls cruise along. Apart from picking these, you can also order a certain sushi by ordering it on a touchscreen, that is mounted on each table.) I do not really understand why you would order sushi on the screen when you can pick them from the conveyor as well.
The sushi, however, was amazingly tasty and interesting. There was not only fish sΓΊshi but also onigirs, vegetable sushi, meat sushi and corn sushi with mayonaise. It was a great variety.
Tea were brought by waiters and served in cups, The waites were very polite, but because the tea was so hot, it was a little difficult to drink. Desert was a tasty chocolate cake.
In the restaurant, I saw a lot of families with children. I rellay like the restaurant and I hope we will go here more often.
At about 5 o'clock, we returned home. We watched TV and I studied in my JLPT training book. As I did not know a lot of vocabulary, I studied it by writing a list of unknow vocabs. I talked a little with Kouta san but now, he is not here anymore. I am a little tired and we will probably not eat dinner. I still have a little bread in my room. I am tired, but I have to wait till 8 o'clock, till I can go upstairs. I do not know what I want to do tomorrow..
As tomorrow is the day of children, places will be full and we cannot go anywhere. I would like to cook something on my own because I like cooking. The TV show, we are now watching. is very interesting. As Wakari san has time, she explaines me a lot Japanese. That is nice. :)
Today, we will take a bath- great. Kouta san is preparing the bath while Wakari san headed off in her room wih the sweets. I want to eat the bread in the bath, that might be interesting. I am looking forward to taking a bath after the grat day today.
The bath was wonderful. Eating bread in there was funny.
I know now, why Japanese people can eat so quickly; they chew less so that the food can come directly into the stomach adn be progressed there. I think I will also try to chew less.
In bed, I ate the last slice of bread and listened to music. Good night! Today was amazing!

I hope, you liked that part!
<-- Previous part (
#54 Shibuya)
Next part (#56 Children's day) -->

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!