8/22/2016

travel2japan #84 2 month left

(source)
Hey guys!
So, I was in Japan as an exchange student. And wrote diary; approximately three pages every single day. As I think it may be interesting translating the thoughts of an exchange student in Japan, I'm now going to do this. 
Some background information:
I was in Japan from March to July 2015(4 1/2 month). I lived in Chiba with a host family. 
I went there with the organization WYS (Word Youth Society).
Here we go.
(The text written in italics are comments, I added in retrospect)

travel2japan #84 2 month left
Real date: June, 2nd, Tuesday

Good morning! Today, I got up at 5 o'clock. I exercised for 5 minutes, but it felt way longer. I went downstairs, checked my e- mails and answered a letter from my aunt. I think, that Wakari san is not mad a t me anymore. Breakfast was tasty, I especially liked the bread with scrambled eggs (how things can change...) After the meal, I studied with my JLPT N4 book. Shit, I forgot to pray yesterday again!

On the way to school, I thought about the fact that I have only 2 month left here in Japan. In a recent letter, my mother wrote, that I am halfway "over the hill", meaning that I still have half behind me and half to go. In my calendar I wrote: "2 month left. How do you feel?" Writing this, I kind of never thought that the time, when I had only 2 month left would actually appear. The 2 month I experienced so far, do not feel long, neither do they feel short. They just feel like 2 month. I still have a lot of things I want to do. There is still a lot of stuff in this year to go. (In Japan, I learned how long a day and a month can actually be and I did not feel like time is running away for the first time)
However, my departure seems close, considering how much stuff I still want to do. There are a lot of things, I want to do with my host family and friends and I want to spent a lot of money for this activities. I still have a lot of money. I want to have a lot of fun and eat non- vegan food. It's still 2 month, not more and not less.  I am thankful for what happened and look forward to what will come.
I want to adapt Japan's culture more. for example, the thing with eating. I am hungry a lot and so rather eat a little bit at a time, than all at once. Japanese people, however, manage to cope with their hunger and eat meals up and then wait till the next meal.
This people are normal people just like I am. Their lives, shaped by the rules of Japanese society, are normal. While the rules from my society might be a little different, in the end, we are all people living our lives.
(some fairly understandable talk about reacting wrong when I have a problem despite other people maybe having this problem, too and me not understanding something (?))
However, let's talk about the day.
In school, I chatted with Maiko. She is really nice and knows a lot of anime. I asked people about their favorite anime/ manga today, what was quite interesting.
The first lesson today was chemistry and I understood again nothing at all. While people were doing quizzes, I wrote down the things, I had done 2015 in Germany. The teacher asked me, whether I had a book. I replied, that I was looking into Rina's book and he said: "If you have a question about it, please ask". Uhm, I guess I do not even understand the questions here..
The next lesson was English communication. Fujiwara sensei, our teacher speaks really bad English and her teaching is so slow. Today, we were tought by another teacher who was a fortunately a little faster.
Then we had P.E., the first lesson with a new kind of sport. I vaguely remembered that I had chosen tennis and fortunately, I was right. We first stood there in heat and listened to the teacher'S explainaition. Then, we trained in groups, what was fun. the time went over quickly. The time after P.E. lessons is so small, I always have to rush incredibly to change clothes.
In the next lesson, English, my nose was running constantly, so Naoka gave me a tissue.
Lunch break, finally. My obento (luch box) was really tasty. for some reason, everybody planned for the school trip in autumn in separate groups. I talked with Maiko again. Rina gave me her Jelly (desert). It was tasty.
Nextly, I went to the library and studied there with Amber. After her problem with her host family, she contacted her homeroom teacher and the English teacher. She seems to have problems with the tight meal times here as well and we talked a little.
Then, i had mathematics where someone gave me a sweet. And, I understood a little of the class, since we had the same topic in Germany already.
After that, I went back to the library and read.
Back in the classroom, everybody got information pamphlets about university. I talked a little to my friends, to Maiko and to Ami and then went to calligraphy club. There, it was quite normal and I talked a little to various people. Because Kyoka had to study something, she came a little late. Club went over quickly.
On the way out, I met Ayama and her friend in the classroom. I talked a little to them and Ayama told me that she did not understand a message I wrote her. Outside, I quickly went to the 7 11 store and bought a yellow bread there. It tasted funny, yet tasty. In Japan, people rarely eat while walking, so I should better stop doing so as well.
Wakari san was home when I arrived and I felt like she was angry, because her replies were always very short. I made stuff for school and then we ate a lot of different food. We talked a lot while eating. She told me that since we have a lot of icecream, I should just eat it whenever I like to. I ate icecream and read a little in the pamphlet about universities, we got. Wakari san showed me her's and Kouta san's university there.
Then, we talked about the next big tests and that it might be okay if I go to Tokyo in this time. She also told me that she had a flu the last time 20 years ago and Kouta san 3 years ago, what sound incredible to me.
Today was good, but my hay fever is really bad. However, good night.

<-- Previous part (#83 friends and foes )
Next part (#85 school in Japan is amazing) -->

No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!